Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More Fun With My Machine


Wow, it's been over two weeks since I posted last!  I haven't been doing as well at keeping up with this as I'd hoped, but plan to do better once the holidays are over.

Fortunately, my graphic design business has picked up which is good for me, but bad for this blog!  Things have been slow for a while but it looks like people have pulled out their pocketbooks for the holidays so I've been busy on actual money making ventures.  Always a good thing!

Of course, it's also the holidays and you all know how that goes.  I always think that I'd never get tired of shopping, but I'm so over it right now!  And tomorrow I need to go to the grocery store to shop for Christmas dinner!  That will be the end of it for a while, at least I can hope!

Along with everything else I was able to find a little time to fool around with my sewing machine.  I've been trying to find a way to integrate my handwork style with the ease and speed of the machine and fusible web.  I'm pleased with my latest experiment.  I fused the center circles, the fairies, and the patches on the corners.  The background was really simple as I made the same patchwork for both sides of the bag and could string piece the whole thing. 


Of course, pink and red is my favorite combination.  It always reminds me of my grandmother, who always wore bright colors, (of course this was in the 1960s when everyone did!).  She had a certain style and loved to wear combinations that are popular now.  A lot of the fabrics I see nowadays remind me of her and I often think about how she would have loved them.

I wasn't particularly close to her as she lived far away during most of my childhood, however, my family thinks that I'm very like her.  She was one of these people who could make something out of nothing and make it look good.  I do that all of the time.  I just wish I'd inherited her clean house genes, you'd never get a white glove dirty at her house, now my house . . . well, enough said . . .

Anyway, I digress, I was writing about my latest bag.  I started out with the basic patchwork and had no idea what I was going to put in the center.  I have a stack of precut circles so I kept throwing them down until I found ones I liked.  I always love black and white with everything . . . it's so classy!  It also made it possible for me to use the fairies to tie the circles together with the patchwork. 

I fused the fairy to the circle, then fused the circle to the bag.  Then I zigzagged around it with red thread.  I brought in my handwork style by adding the beads around the outside, interrupting the black with a shot of color to help integrate it into the piece. 

I'm pleased with the finished bag because it's the perfect combination of tailored construction and fun color and style.  I'm going to use this same pattern to work up some more.  I'm starting to like this machine work!

If I don't get to post over the next few days I'd like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, and hope you have a happy and peaceful holiday season with those you love.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a beautiful bag. I love your way with colors. Good choice of the black and white on the center. You can tell you're really having fun.