Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Working Away



I'm in the process of cutting up a couple of boxes of older fabrics so I can use them in strip piecing.  It's a tedious process but once I'm finished I'll be able to whip up a bunch of stuff and that will be fun.  In the meantime it's a plodding process of ironing and cutting and it's getting to be a drag!

How do you guys feel about the process of preparation?  Things like organizing your stash, sorting embellishments, untangling thread, and cutting strips and squares?  Sometimes I enjoy it, but then it gets to that stage where you just want to get it done so you can move on.

I don't know about you but I've always fantasized about being one of those chefs on the cooking shows.  You know, the ones where they have all of the ingredients premeasured in little glass bowls and all you have to do is the fun part?  I used to work in the catering business and always used to feel sorry for the prep crew; cutting up onions, trimming asparagus, peeling potatoes, they did for a living all of the things I hate doing.  Wouldn't it be great to walk into your kitchen and have all of your ingredients premeasured and ready to roll?

I suppose that's the appeal of "jelly rolls" and "layer cakes."  I love the idea but when I see those cute packages I just want to keep them and look at them.  It's like buying that fabric that's too beautiful to cut up.  You know you have to in order to use it, but you just can't bring yourself to do it.  I have a few of the Moda Tins and they are still intact, even though they're several years old.  They're just too cute as they are!  I don't have the heart to disturb them.

So, instead I find myself ankle deep in fabric scraps, cutting up fabric from the 90s and trying to mesh it with my newer fabrics.  It's a challenge and has it's fun moments, but all this cutting is making me crazy.  I have at least a few more hours to go and I feel like I can't take any more . . .yikes!

Of course, I could just stop but I can't do that.  Once I get on a roll like this I'm obsessed, I just have to finish cutting up this pile of fabric, somehow integrate it with the rest of my stash, and then I can really roll.  In the meantime I have to deal with cramping fingers, stray threads, (oh, why did I wear black pants?), and the realization that no matter how hard I work the stack never seems to get smaller.  What's with that?

Oh well, back to the cutting board!

Oh, and the picture above is of my First Place handbag from the Robert Kaufman Quilt Quest 2008.  I found this photo on the internet and it's better than the one I was using.  I still haven't gotten it back but they told me it would be a few weeks before everything got shipped so I'm expecting it soon.  It's so weird getting a piece back that's been on the road for over a year.  It always seems smaller than I remember, and I have a hard time reconciling what I saw in my mind and what is actually in front of me.  It's an odd feeling.

Anyway, I'm nearly finished with two handbags I made from my first round of using up my old fabric.  I thought I might have them ready for photos today but my son had basketball practice last night and I lost too much precious TV (aka: hand sewing ) time.  I'll work on it tonight.

Happy Stitching,

Susan

3 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

I'm with you. Sometimes I love the organizing, and I find it easier to work when things are organized. But at other times I just want to create.

Karen said...

Excellent post and I love the handbag.

Barbara said...

I just got a new cutting table which forced me to clean up other stuff in the room, which has now forced me to start re-organizing all my fabrics too. It's a pain but I think in the end I will be more productive in looking for fabrics. I'm cutting up anything smaller than a fat quarter into my Scrap Therapy pieces which is additional (read boring) work.