Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Stash Challenge!


As those of you who've been here before know, I have a monster sized stash.  Of course, I always say it's because I've been quilting since the Stone Age, but that's only kind of true.  Actually, I love fabric and I have the stash to prove it!

Recently I found a small plastic box filled with fabric.  These were pieces that I had originally intended to give away, but couldn't part with at the last minute.  I'd intended to integrate them into my stash but when I saw them again I decided to give myself a challenge.  Make something using mostly the "found" fabrics, while adding only a few new fabrics to make it more "up-to-date."

When you've been collecting fabrics for years, you have to make decisions about which fabrics look "too dated" to use in a new piece.  I've tried to only buy fabrics that I love, but that means that I have more "trendy" fabric that tends to get dated quicker.  This is something to consider when buying fabric, if something is "trendy" you might want to buy just enough to make something while the trend is hot, but not so much that you have a lot of it in your stash moving forward. 

Anyway, I've been working on an idea of making patchwork bags that are more tailored and less "quilty."  I know that "quilty" is the point for most of us, but there are people out there who appreciate a more tailored look.  So, I decided to use a selection of my found fabrics to make some patchwork rectangles that I'm going to make into some new tailored bags.

Above is a photo of my layout.  I started using my digital camera and printer for this kind of thing a while ago as I'm notorious for mixing up my carefully laid patchwork while stitching.  I have the special pins, and I've tried the masking tape markings, and I've even laid them out on a grid and pulled them row by row.  But, I've had to accept the fact that my life doesn't support those techniques. 

I'm on a major push to "idiot proof" my life as I'm becoming a "major idiot!"  When I photograph and print the layout I can just leave it next to the machine and I find it easier to double check and make sure I'm doing it right!  Also, if I sell the piece and someone wants me to reproduce it, I have the print in my file. Since I've been using this system I've yet to mess up.  One point for me!

I'd like to challenge all of you to make something out of some older fabric in your stash.  Add a splash of something new and let's see what you come up with.  It's a great way to thin out your stash, and get something out of it.  Besides, with the holidays coming everyone could use a few extra gifts, (that won't cost you anything extra!).  I'm thinking I'm going to be giving away patchwork bags this Christmas!

I'd love to see what you all come up with.  If you send a picture to my email address:  susan@gillygaloofus.com. I'll publish them here and we can have a "Found Fabric Festival."

I'll be posting pictures of my bags as soon as I get them finished.  I'm fine tuning now!

Also, sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I have been working away but haven't really had anything interesting to blog about.  I figured if I was bored, then you'd be bored by my boring musings about boring stuff . . . now I'm really bored!
Anyway, I'm still working on that Creative Journey quilt with the butterfly border.  Last week I was trying to figure out how to get started on the center.  I've done a little work on it so hopefully I'll be able to post some photos next week.  I had major "quilter's block" but I think I may have had a breakthrough so we'll see if I'm right.

Hope you're all keeping busy and having fun!

Happy Stitching!
Susan

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

At one point I decided to cut my leftovers into squares, whatever size would work for that piece. 2x2, 3x3, etc. Now I have all these squares of dated fabric that I didn't want to use. Your challenge intrigues me. Maybe I can do something with these by utilizing more modern fabrics. It I do, I'll send you a picture.