Monday, November 16, 2009

Hippie Chic



I just received my 2008 Kaufman Quilt Quest First Place winning bag back from it's year long journey all over the country.  It's called "Hippie Chic" and it feels like it's been gone since 1969!

It's one of my best pieces and includes a ton of embellishment techniques.  The picture above shows off a lot of them.

One of the things I love to do is embroider over fabric.  It gives it dimension, and makes it possible to add different colors.  The flower in the upper left corner is a prime example.  It was a fussy cut applique which I embroidered to add interest.  Notice the chain stitching around the flower.  I love to do this because it hides a multitude of sins.  When appliquing a small curved piece it's very difficult to turn the inner edges without showing some stitches.  By chain stitching over the edge I can cover any odd yet necessary stitches, and add dimension as well!   Also note the beading that goes along with the applique's details. 
                         
Here's another detail showing more techniques.  Notice the beaded quilting stitches around the squares in the upper right corner.   I love delineating shapes this way, the square button only adds to the theme.  Also, notice how I use the dots in the patterns.  Applying different round embellishments add interest and make it possible to add more color than was original to the green and turquoise pattern.
                            
This is one of my favorite techniques.  The central pattern was originally just the squiggly circles in green on the turquoise background.  I quilted the green squiggles with different coordinating colors, topping off the ends with seed beads.  I used tracing paper to trace some of the shapes and made templates to apply appliques of coordinating fabrics.  Notice that they are all of the same pattern but different colorways, except one!  I used a different pattern just to mix things up.  Also notice that there are six appliques, usually a no-no as odd numbers are preferred, however, because I used that one different pattern, I made it work. 

Also notice the beaded quilting in the lower left corner.  This made it possible for me to add the turquoise color to the orange and pink fabric, and it carries on the curved edges of the fabric's design. One of the more fun things I did on this piece was add the name of the featured fabric line in alphabet beads.  You can see "Color Theory" in the upper left corner.

I hope you enjoyed looking at these techniques and can find some use for them in your projects.  It's amazing how much they add to any quilt.

I'm working away on a few things and hope to have more to share soon.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

Maddie Can Fly said...

Thank you for showing this bag and the details of your beading, applique and techniques. I loved looking at this and will really be able to use some of these ideas.