Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Getting Ready for Turkey Day



It's that time of year again!  It's so hard to believe that it's nearly Thanksgiving, and will soon be Christmas. Where does the time go?

I always have so much to do and yet seem to find ways to distract myself from doing them.  Fortunately, I'm not having Thanksgiving at my house this year.  I've done it the last 4 years and although I always enjoy the day, the days leading up to it are exhausting.

This year I don't have the build-up to worry about.  I only have to prepare a couple of dishes to bring along.  Every year I make this delicious sweet potato/yam dish that everyone loves.  Essentially it's mashed sweet potatoes and mashed yams, layered with circles of homemade pecan toffee.  When it cooks the toffee melts into the potatoes and as it cools slightly it hardens again.  So it's a combo of creamy and crunchy, and is so delish!  Unfortunately it has about 12 trillion calories per serving so I always leave the leftovers behind, (or hand them out if I'm hosting).  I'm the only one who likes them in my house and it's too tempting to have it around....yummy, yummy, massive tummy, massive and growing tummy, . . . you know what I mean!

My preparations for Thanksgiving this year involve re-organizing my studio space.  The last time I just cleaned it up, but I'm doing different things now so I need to set it up a little differently.  The main thing I'm doing is reorganizing my paper reams, and getting my fabric strips out of their boxes and within reach. 

I still do a lot of graphic design work, but it's mostly computer files that get sent around, so I don't need to have the paper at my fingertips anymore.  I actually enjoy being able to design something, and with a click of a key have it sent where it needs to go.  Before it was all about sending print proofs and going round and round and back and forth.  Now, I just send it and the client or printer takes it from there.  So much easier for me, but now I'm stuck with reams of paper I rarely use.

So, I found a home for them in my linen closet and cleared out this really cool slide out shelf unit to put all of my strips on.  I'm putting the strips on pieces of custom fitted foamcore.  So, now I can slide out the shelf and pick up the foamcore with all of the strips on it.  It will make sorting and selecting a lot easier, and neater, (I hope!).  As soon as I finish I'll take pictures so you can see.  The unit is actually a closet unit, mean't for holding sweaters.  I bought it as a paper cabinet because it was so easy to pull out the shelf and grab the ream.  I can't tell you how many nails I broke trying to pry a ream off a regular shelf!  I'm looking forward to re-purposing it for quilting.

My son is waiting for me to finish this post so I can take him to his school's Book Fair at Barnes and Nobles.  I haven't been over there in a while, maybe they'll have some new quilting magazines! 

Oh well, I hope to post again tomorrow.  In the meantime . . .

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: