Friday, October 16, 2009

"Real Artists"

Still no camera, so no pictures today! I hope we get it going tonight because I'm going to the Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara tomorrow and I hope to have some photos to share next week.

In the meantime I'd like to vent about something that really gripes my cookies! It's the term "Real Artist." I received an email from one of my readers where she said that some people referred to her as not a "Real Artist."

Now, for one thing, I'm not exactly Miss Manners but I know that that is simply not a very nice thing to say. It's downright rude and nasty, and the only reason why someone would say that to somebody is to hurt that person's feelings.

Just because something isn't my cup of tea, doesn't mean that I have the right to go up to that person and accuse them of not being a real artist. I mean, I've seen some art hanging in museums where I'm convinced the artist must have been a major con artist to convince people to pay money for his/her "art," but I haven't complained about it. I can have an opinion, but that doesn't give me the right to denigrate someone.

The fact is that there's a divide in the quilting world. On one extreme you have the "loving hands at home quilter" and on the other extreme there's the "you need to put on latex gloves to do this art quilter."

Now I like to think that I'm more in the middle, probably closer to the art quilter end, mainly because my work is a little more on the weird side. However, I feel a closer kinship to the "loving hands" quilter than the "latex glove" quilter.

Most quilters I've met are "loving hands" folks with enough technical skill that they could probably sew rings around the "real artists." I respect that so much. The "latex glove" folks also have something to offer us in their persepective on sewing technique. They've gotten us off the 10 stitches per inch nonsense, which is a real blessing to me!

There's plenty of room for everyone to make the kinds of quilts they want to. I don't have a problem with people doing their "thing." The quilting world is a big one and there's plenty of room for all of us.

So, to all of you out there who are pulling on your latex gloves, remember that the "art" of quilting began as a way for "loving hands" to bring some beauty into their lives. And, for those of you pulling out the #12 needles and hand quilting frame, appreciate the fact that the "latex glove" quilters have helped build the quilting industry, which makes it possible for all of us to have a selection of fabrics and supplies undreamt of before they came along.

Oh, and let's all be nice to each other. It's OK to agree to disagree but not to be nasty about it.

To those about to quilt, I salute you!

Happy Stitching,

Susan

2 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

I heartily agree with everything you wrote.

Barbara said...

Nicely said. It's a big world and plenty of room for all kinds of art.

I'll be at Pacific International tomorrow too. So excited to see all the quilts in the show. (oh and all the vendors).