Thursday, October 29, 2009

Judge's Choice



Wow, it's been a while since I posted.  The last time I was here I was excited because I remembered a quilt I had just been working on, a real "duh" moment on my part but hey, you take your thrills where you can find them!

As I said I've also been blogging as Gillygaloofus on allpeoplequilt.com.  Today I wrote out some of my tips for entering contests as I've had some luck in that department. 

One of the major peeves we all have is with judges.  It can't be an easy job, and I think sometimes the negativity we often get from them comes from an overly-defensive attitude.  I'm trying to be fair about this so I suppose that judging a quilt show is a bit of a no-win situation.  You won't be popular no matter what you do but it's a lot easier on the entrants if the judges are more like Paula Abdul and less like Simon Cowell.

Case in point, I was once in a contest judged by Kay Bresenhan of Quilts, Inc.  She gave me the most delightful grading sheet I'd ever had, it was all positive and upbeat and included a personal note wishing me the best in the future.  She was definitely a Paula Abdul type.

Then there was another judge whose name I'd rather not mention; not only because it would be un-cool to do so but also because I don't think anyone would know who he was!  Anyway, he totally eviscerated the quilt shown above.  He said the color choices were poor, the sewing badly done, and he just didn't like it at all.  So what happens?  The quilt receives the "Judge's Choice" award!

It was like I was one of those horrible singers trying out for American Idol, Simon verbally destroys me, and I end up winning the contest.  It was one of the strangest moments of my life. 

To this day I still wonder what happened.  Did he mix up my notes with someone else's?  Was he JUI , (Judging under the Influence)?  Or did he have some kind of split personality?  God only knows!

Oh well, it's my favorite quilting judge story and it just goes to show you that sometimes things don't make any sense at all, and you're better off not questioning . . . just grab that ribbon and run!

I'm working away getting the base ready for my butterfly quilt.  It's slow going because it's sooooooooo boring!  But I'm not giving up!  I'll soldier on no matter what, even if I do fall asleep sitting up with an Ottlite shining on my head and a needle stuck in my thumb . . .

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: