Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Inside-Out Day

I'm so glad that I'm old enough not to get embarrassed about little things anymore! Now when embarrassing things happen to me I just laugh and laugh and laugh, and it's a good thing because embarrassing moments are me . . .

This morning I discovered after leaving the grocery store that my T-shirt was on inside-out. Fortunately, it was all one color and not too noticeable, and I was at the store at 7:30 am so the only people who saw me were the clerks, but when I discovered it I had a grand old time laughing my guts out.

The T-shirt part wasn't what was so funny to me, it was that my husband and my son both saw me wearing that inside-out T-shirt for at least 45 minutes, not to mention my son's carpool kids, and no one noticed. I suppose I could be upset because they weren't paying that close attention to me, but I've gotten to the point in my life where I appreciate that I'm not what I look like or what I'm wearing, I'm who I am to the people around me. My son saw "Mom," my husband his wife, and the carpool kids, well, I'm just another Mom like theirs, (who also probably had her shirt on inside-out and they didn't notice!)

I've got a few more butterflies done but now my camera has no batteries, my husband promised to recharge some for me but he forgot, so you'll have to wait to get a look at them.

Instead I'm sharing a photo of a handbag I entered in the Robert Kaufman Quilt Quest in 2007. It won second place and the reason I'm showing it is that it's a good example of how I figure out what judges are looking for.

The instructions said that you had to use Robert Kaufman fabrics only, and I had tons of them so that was easy. However, they were promoting a specific line of fabric, which wasn't my cup of tea, so I didn't use any of it.

Big mistake! The bag that won first place was made of that fabric. So, the next year I decided that I'd make my bag out of the featured fabric and guess what? I won first place!

Now, I'm in a bit of a panic because the traveling show ended in September and I have yet to receive my bag back. I emailed Robert Kaufman Fabrics today, hoping that they can give me some word.

Frankly, you'd think that a national contest like the Quilt Quest would be managed better. Last year I received my second place bag in a ratty box, it looked like it had just been thrown in there and the ribbon was creased and kind of mangled. It was upsetting.

Oh well, I hope I hear word about my bag soon. I don't have any really good pictures of it and I'd love to post some on the blog. It really shows off so many different kinds of embellishment that I think you'd enjoy seeing it.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Hello Susan,
That's a very pretty bag. I love your design! Especially the Chinese girl gives me an oriental feeling.

SandyQuilts said...

Hey recently while at the YMCA my shirt was inside out. No one, not my family nor any one at the Y (it was crowded) said a thing. I was so embarassed.

Darling purse ... hope you get it back.