Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


It's been a pretty busy week around here.  Between baseball, basketball, school functions, and an urge to clean, (which I try to capitalize on when it appears!), I haven't had enough time to do a lot of quilting.

Unfortunately, my cleaning bug has not hit the studio space.  Yikes! 

At first when I heard the screaming I thought it was just because it's Halloween, and then I realized it was my family's reaction to my messy work space.  It's pretty frightening.  If it wasn't upstairs it would make a great "haunted house" attraction for the neighborhood kids.  Thread all over the floor, scraps of fabric everywhere, sharp rotary cutters left out, not to mention the piles of fabric and unfinished projects that jump out at you when you least expect it.

Yes, I guess Halloween is the one day of the year when my studio's decor fits right in, even down to the graying old witch who sits in the corner, typing away when she really should be cleaning up. 

The worst part of all of this is that I work so well and am much more productive when my studio is clean.  Are you the same or do you work better in the midst of chaos?  I think in my case it's usually chaos so when it's clean I'm more relaxed and better able to focus then when it looks like a candidate for "Clean House."

I love it when I can just grab what I need and work away.  The problem is that I "work away" but I don't "put away"!  I used to put everything away when I'd finished a project but that was when I actually finished projects instead of having a bunch in progress at the same time.

You'd think I'd be able to put things away and then go get them when I need them but my menopausal symptoms include an inability to remember where I put something.  The scariest part is that I put together these great organizational systems but then forget how they work!  I should label everything but I have a habit of changing my mind and not changing the labels and that just makes things worse!

What's a crazy lady to do?  I guess I'll just stop typing and at least clean off my cutting table.  It's a start!

I hope you all have a Happy Halloween!

Happy Stitching,

Susan

No comments: