Friday, October 2, 2009

Beading 101

I'm sure that you've all noticed that I use a lot of beads in my work. I can't imagine quilting anything without them!

I've been adding beads to quilts since the eighties, and over the years have come up with some tricks, techniques, and theories about their usage.

While I'm working away on my butterflies, (it's slow going this week because my son's home from school . . . he's actually bugging me about lunch right now!), I'm going to start sharing some of my beading secrets with all of you.

Today I'm sharing a couple of details from a quilt that won Judges Choice in the 2001 Embellishment Show, (Embellishment has now been integrated into the annual Quilt Festival in Chicago, and was run by Quilts, Inc.).

The piece is called "Silicon Valley Samba" and was my take on the end of the first flush of the dotcom era. It was also a great way to try all different kinds of beading techniques. I hope you enjoy these details and hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to start "Beading 101" and even have another butterfly or two finished to share.

Happy Stitching!


Susan

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Your work is so interesting! I like how there is so much to look at! I wish someone would post the BACK of a quilt. What do all of those stitches look like? Does only the quilting show? How and when do you add the embellishments? Do those stitches show? How do you knot them off? No one ever talks about that beginners technique!!!

Susan Gannon O'Connell said...

Hi Nancy,

I'm going to start doing some posts on beading and embellishment next week so I hope you'll check back. I'll see if I can pull that quilt out and take some photos of the back for everyone to see.