Saturday, September 26, 2009

Winging It!

I'm finally starting to make some progress on these butterflies. I managed to finish three between last night and this morning and I'm happy to share them here.

I didn't mention this previously but before I got started embellishing the butterflies I made templates of the wings. I started playing around with them and made some templates that I could use to make sure that my designs were the same on both sides. It's difficult for them to be perfect which is OK with me because I think a lot of the charm lies in the little imperfections, (and it's a great way to ignore my shortcomings!).

The butterfly above was actually the last one I finished, but I think it's my favorite. I love chain stitching! It's a great way to fill in space and give depth without the hassle of satin stitch, (which I love but don't do well).

This butterfly had some of my favorite color combinations. I love pink, red, orange, lime green and turquoise. They look like a bag of Jolly Rancher Candies, (stop salivating Susan!). I didn't have two of either the pink or red polka dot buttons at the base of the wings, so I decided to mix them up. It adds a bit of interest . . . and more imperfection. Yippee!!!

I had a hard time getting a decent picture of this butterfly because it has sequins on it and they kept reflecting the flash back at the camera. I'm also not the greatest photographer, which is probably the more likely reason this photo isn't great.

Oh well, I did manage to get some sequins onto this piece so I'm really going for it! I just need to make sure that I balance them throughout the piece because they really stand out and if I don't balance them it'll be "all about the sequins."

I guess I'm kicking myself in the head again. Oh well, I can't help myself. Sequins are sparkly and I like sparkly. Now that I've gone down that road I'm just going to have to make it work.

I'm really enjoying making these butterflies because each one is a little work of art. I'm also beginning to have flashbacks to the 70's, this quilt is turning hippie on me . . .

Groovy,

Susan

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Hippy trippy and lookin' great. Love the embellished butterflies!!!