Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome to "Room 32"

I was so thrilled to discover that I have followers! Thanks everyone for letting me know that you're enjoying my blog, I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I had multiple requests to show you some of my work, so here goes! The quilt above is one I made for my son's teacher last year. He'd been in Mrs. Kelly McCoy's class,(Room 32), for two years, 4th and 5th grade, and it was a wonderful experience for him. I try to be thoughtful with teacher gifts and when I found out that she was a quilter, (I wish I'd known that 2 years ago!), I thought she'd appreciate receiving a quilt from me.

This quilt has a little girl holding a thank you to Mrs. McCoy, two blackboard plaques, the entire alphabet, (in cursive!), and an assortment of buttons I made showing the various subjects, favorite books, and experiences my son had had in her class. As you can imagine it was a hit!

It's not particulary large, about 20" x 12," which is only a little smaller than I generally like to work. I do a lot of embellishment so larger pieces just don't get finished, and frankly, once they're loaded down with beads, buttons, etc, they weigh so much they become difficult to quilt. Especially since I don't have very big biceps!

I hope you enjoy this piece and I'll put up another one tomorrow.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: