Monday, September 21, 2009

My bad . . .

I promised to come back after the weekend with some embellished butterflies but I'm still blanket stitching them on. As usual, life intervened and I couldn't get it all done. What else is new!

However, I plan to get that last butterfly on and get started on embellishing tomorrow.

For now, a few things that occurred to me as I was stitching this weekend. Originally I'd planned to heavily embellish the butterflies with beads but I'm having second thoughts. If I go over the top with the butterflies, then I'm stuck having to do the same with whatever I'm putting in the center, (which I haven't decided on yet). It's just another example of how you can get ahead of yourself.

So, I think I'm going to go light on the embellishment for now, and perhaps add more once I figure out what the rest of the piece is going to be. I often go whole hog in the beginning and then I'm stuck putting more into the rest of the piece than it needs. I like to have things balanced so over-embellished butterflies means that I have to come up with something I can equally embellish for the pieced section. I'm not sure if I want to put myself in the position of having to do that when less might have been better.

We'll see.

In the meantime, the photo at the top of this blog is of a quilt that I pieced during my recent frenzy. I have some circle "frames" that I'm going to applique over the raw edges of the circles so it'll have a reverse applique look. I like to have a project like this ready to go because sometimes I'm in a hand stitching mood and this is the perfect thing to work on.

Well, that's all for tonight. It's finals week and I promised my son that I'd quiz him on Mesopotamia!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: