Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fun With Scraps

I don't know about you but whenever I string piece I have leftover ends and odd pieces. Instead of tossing them or putting them in a box I will probably forget about, I keep a small box on my cutting table. As I cut I throw the scraps in.

Since I work fairly small, it doesn't take me too long to piece anything, so I usually still have some pieceing mojo left when my original project is done. That's when I get to have fun!

This time I was working with 2" wide strips and had quite a few end pieces. I decided to use pieced sections of three, so I took the pieced sections I had and added and subtracted other scraps until I had a stack of pieces that were three 2" strips wide and about 3" long. I then pieced those together and trimmed them to make squares.

Those were pieced together in 8 sections of two. I then added two 2" strips to the top of each section, then pieced the finished sections together to make two 4 square pieces and two 2 square pieces. Then I made another piece for the bottom, stitched it all together, added handles and lining and within a couple of hours I had a new bag.

It's a great way to use up scraps and quick because I did it all by machine and most of my pieces were already cut. If I save scraps from a few projects I can usually make a new totebag up every few months, they're great for gifts and also to use. I love this one because it's nice and bright, and the straps are fitted to me so it's not constantly sliding back.


I love color and this is a great way to try out different combinations without making a major investment in time and money. I discovered one of my favorite combinations of aqua and pink this way. It's also a great way to use up larger pieces of fabric that didn't work out or are no longer your taste...they make great linings!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Fiesta said...

Susan, I love this bag, It is bright and summery.

Seams Inspired said...

How fun! With all the themed fabric I have, I could make one of these for each season. :o) Thanks for sharing!

PS...I'm a new follower who found you through Craft Gossip. Happy Sewing! Larri at Seams Inspired