Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting Back Into The Swing

I live in one of those school districts with a “modified” year round school schedule. It’s kind of an odd way to do things and although there are parts of it that I like, it also feels really strange to be sending your child off for the first day of school in July.

I remember the long, lazy summers I had as a child. I grew up in Central California where the temperature would hit 100 degrees and stay there sometimes for weeks. Did we care? Not really, we were young, and if we got hot we’d spray the hose at each other or throw water balloons, or go hang out at the local high school pool. Then for at least a week we’d all climb into the car, (no seatbelts used in those days!), and we’d head out for a road trip or a leisurely week at Lake Tahoe. It was heaven for me.

But not for my Mom. It wasn’t until years later when my own son was driving me crazy one summer that my mother told me that she couldn’t wait for us to go back to school. Turns out that what was heaven for me was hell for her. Of course, looking back on it I can understand. There was one of her and three of us. She was used to having her time to herself during the day to get done what she needed to get done. Now she had three kids, aged 5 years apart, all wanting to do different things at the same time. Always hungry, always hot, probably always whining … now I get it!

My 11 year old son started middle school yesterday. It was a nerve-racking day for both of us and although I was kind of looking forward to having the “free” time, I felt out-of-sorts all day. It was one of those days when I had the time but I didn’t do anything with it. Well, I guess I did some things, it’s not like I literally sat down and stared at the wall, (and I’ve actually had those days….). But all of the plans I had for the projects I was going to tackle didn’t happen, and now I’m feeling the pressure building for what I need to accomplish today.

I’m determined to finish sorting through my fabric. I have stuff I’ve purchased over the summer that I need to organize and put away, and I also have to start piecing a quilt that I’ve already cut the pieces for.

Oh well, like Scarlett says, “Tomorrow’s another day!”

Susan

No comments: